The Perfect Summer Breakfast!
Acai Bowls are all the hype this summer as they are the perfect way to start your day off right- and the hype is well deserved! Our Registered Dietitians/Nutritionists at Eat Right Bucks County can’t eat enough, especially with local berries on top!
Acai berries are a super-fruit from South America that are high in heart-healthy antioxidants and low in sugar, but contains excellent amounts of iron, calcium, fiber, and vitamin A. Acai berries also increase energy levels, help with digestion, and can aide in weight loss. You can add any toppings you like onto these bowls such as gluten free granola, chia seeds, hemp seeds, peanut butter, some local bucks county fruit, cocoa nibs, coconut flakes, etc. These bowls are healthy, super delicious, and they will keep you full for hours- what more could you ask for?
In the United States, you can find pure and organic pureed acai in the frozen isle of health food stores (you could also switch out acai for frozen pitaya puree, another superfruit!) In the Doylestown Bucks & Montgomery County area, you can find Acai puree at Whole Foods & Wegmans. There are also many up and coming cafes and juice bars that make acai bowls but if you cannot find a place near you, here is how to make them at home in three easy steps! My tip is to use all organic products to make this the healthiest it can be! Here is what you’ll need:
- 1 pack pure and unsweetened frozen Acai (found in the frozen fruit isle at whole foods)
- 1 Frozen Banana
- 4 Frozen Strawberries
- 1/4 cup soy OR almond milk
- (can add peanut butter for extra protein!)
- 1 tbsp. Chia seeds
- 1/2 cup Granola ( I chose granola made with quinoa for some protein)
- 1/2 fresh banana
- add 1 pack of frozen acai, 1 frozen banana, and 4 strawberries into a blender and blend until you get a smooth and thick consistency that is scoopable.
- pour mixture into a bowl.
- add granola, chia seeds, and 1/2 of a banana on top!